Young professionals from India can enter the UK through the India Young Professionals Scheme Visa. It is a visa scheme not too dissimilar to the Youth Mobility Scheme Visa available for several countries. If you are an Indian citizen between 18 and 30 and seeking to come to the UK, this article is for you.
- What Is the India Young Professionals Scheme Visa?
- Who Qualifies for the India Young Professionals Scheme Visa?
- How To Apply for the India Young Professionals Scheme Visa
- How Long Does It Take To Receive a Decision?
- Enhancing Mobility
What Is the India Young Professionals Scheme Visa?
The visa scheme allows Indian citizens aged 18 and 30 to work and live in the United Kingdom for up to 2 years Because of the enormous demand from Indian citizens to come to the UK, a ballot scheme is in operation. A person must check eligibility and enter the ballot with the winners, gaining permission to apply for the visa.
Who Qualifies for the India Young Professionals Scheme Visa?
To be eligible for this visa, the applicant must:
- Be an Indian citizen or national between the ages of 18 and 30
- Be a minimum of 18 years of age on the date of travel
- Hold a bachelor’s degree or a qualification above this level
- Hold savings of at least £2530 to support themselves while in the United Kingdom
- Not have children under 18 whom they look after and are responsible for
How To Apply for the India Young Professionals Scheme Visa
The application involves the following 3 simple steps:
- Those who meet the eligibility criteria above are permitted to enter the ballot scheme
- Those who successfully win the ballot will receive the invitation to make an application for the visa
- Prepare the required documentation and submit the application
1. Entering the Ballot System
To enter the ballot, the eligible persons will need to supply the following:
- Full name
- The date they were born
- Passport information
- A photo or scan of the passport
- Telephone number
- Email address
The successful entries are picked randomly, and the results are emailed within two weeks of the ballot. Successful candidates are given an invitation to make an application for the India Young Professionals Scheme Visa.
In 2023, 3,000 visas were available through the India Young Professionals Scheme Visa. The ballots took place in February and July of the year, with the next ballot occurring in 2024.
Unsuccessful candidates can enter as many ballots as they wish but are limited to one entry per ballot. You can learn more about upcoming ballots on this official UK government website.
2. Receiving an Invitation To Apply
If the candidate has been successfully selected from the Young Professionals Visa ballot, they can make an application. All applications are made online; you can make a start through this UK government website. The website is the same portal used for the Youth Mobility Scheme Visa; you simply need to choose “India” as the nationality.
Part of the application will involve proving your identity. There are two ways in which you can do this:
- Creating a United Kingdom Visas and Immigration account or use the app ‘UK Immigration: ID Check’ to transfer identification documents to the Home Office or
- Visiting an application centre in person and having your photographs and fingerprints taken for a biometric residence permit.
When the application is made, you will be advised on which of the above 2 steps you must take to prove identity. If a visit is required to an application centre, the centre may hold onto the documents, including the passport, while processing.
3. Preparing the Required Documentation
To apply, you must provide these documents:
- A passport or other documents to prove nationality and identity
- Evidence to show you have £2530 in their bank account (e.g., a bank statement)
- Proof of qualifications
- Results from a tuberculosis (TB) test
- Clearance certificate or a police report (find out how to apply for a criminal record check here)
Proof of Qualifications
It is necessary to demonstrate the applicant has a qualification at the bachelor’s degree standard or higher. The University or college will need to provide written verification that you completed your studies and graduated with the necessary qualifications.
All the documents must be in English or Welsh, and a certified translation must be provided if the papers are in another language.
How Long Does It Take To Receive a Decision?
After the online application, proving identity, and providing the documents, decisions are usually made within 3 weeks. Decisions could take longer if:
- Supporting documents require verification,
- There is a need to attend an interview,
- Due to the applicant’s personal circumstances (if, for example, the applicant has a criminal record).
It is possible to obtain a quicker decision by making a payment; find out more here.
India Young Professionals Scheme Visa is open to young people aged 18 to 30 from India with a degree-related qualification. Though people are selected through a ballot, those who are successful have the opportunity to work and live in the UK for 2 years. As well as enabling mobility, this scheme improves relations between India and the UK.